Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Experiment- Opera Diva on Ice

ORIGINALLY POSTED  2011.
PENALTY KILL No. 1

Since 1998 I've been a professional Opera Singer. I've sung all types of music before such as gospel, musical theater, even a little country, but in the end it was the OPERA that wrapped itself around me. Having grown up as a Tom Boy, the son my father never had, always in sports (especially speed skating) always having boys as my playmates, being in the mud, having a dirt bike rather than a banana seater....... it was interesting (though completely enthralling) to put on a fabulous gown with full hoops and glorious lace, with gloves and jewelry and walk out under the lights and play the feminine Jenny Lind in Barnum. I was hooked!


So I quit sports entirely to become fully focused on singing and performing. But I can attest to the fact that when you've grown up doing a certain thing, it never fully leaves your blood no matter how happy you are. I always missed skating and I missed how it kept me in shape as well as the exhilaration of speed across distance. It was the same exhilaration I get on stage! So a few months ago, it was suggested I join a family member in his hockey endeavor. I had no intention of joining the first few times it was mentioned, but eventually I caved and decided to join the BRONZE HOCKEY LEAGUE at Nytex Sports Centre (Home of the Fort Worth Brahmas) I joined the MUD DUCKS, basically the farm team of the PUDDLE JUMPERS Hockey club. This BLOG was not posted LIVE as frankly, I had NO clue how this was going to go down! I had no clue how my musical colleagues would react, or if it would be too much for me take on amidst my schedule. I hope anyone who reads this will know that if they have desires to do something, no matter how odd, or misplaced, or even impossible and ominous.... you CAN and I HIGHLY suggest it!

No comments:

Post a Comment